Frozen-Inspired Reading Activity For Early Readers + Printable

I started reading at the age of 3. Not just Dr. Seuss books, but anything and everything I could get my hands on (including the newspaper!) I know that is an anomaly, and not something that I should have expected of my own child, but that’s just not how my mind works. Danger knew the letters of the alphabet, as well as their “sounds” – all by the age of 18 months. Reading should have followed pretty quickly, right?

Wrong.

I had to get creative to encourage Danger to read. I’m still adjusting to her learning approach, and that will probably never change so long as we are homeschooling.

I came up with a fun little reading activity that has really helped to build Danger’s reading confidence, an important part of encouraging young readers to succeed. I came across an adorable Disney Frozen-themed memory game printable, and used some of the pieces to create a fun reading activity.* I cut out the pictures, and turned them into pockets before gluing them to a sheet of plain paper.

FREE Frozen-Inspired Reading Activity + Printable

I also spent a little time creating this snowflake printable. After printing and cutting them out, I just took a pen and wrote words on the back of each one. I decided that we would focus on matching word endings to make it a little more fun.

Some words are:

• bat, cat, mat, pat, rat, sat
  • ban, can, fan, man, pan, tan
  • bed, fed, led, red, wed
  • bit, fit, hit, kit, lit, pit, sit, wit

and so on. You get the idea :)

How to use this activity

Danger flips over the snowflakes so that she can read the words. After reading each one, she places the snowflake on a character until she has matched all the word endings. Then she places the snowflakes in their corresponding pocket, making this a great, self-containing activity.

I’m making a Tinker Bell set for the next round of words, and we’ll go on from there. Letting her choose the theme of the activity makes it more interesting to her.

Where do you like to find inspiration for learning activities?

*After printing the memory game, I cut out the squares, glued small bits of paper onto the back of each to form a pouch, and then glued each square onto a sheet of paper. This technique makes the pockets a little stronger. You are welcome to my snowflake printable for personal use only. The image above has been retouched (the original image did not photograph well).

19 Flares Pin It Share 0 Twitter 11 Facebook 6 Google+ 2 Email -- Email to a friend LinkedIn 0 StumbleUpon 0 19 Flares ×

32 Responses to Frozen-Inspired Reading Activity For Early Readers + Printable

1. This is awesome! My son loved Frozen, and I think he’d have a great time with this printable. He is well on his way to being a reader, and this would help make it more fun.

2. That is such a cute idea. My boys really enjoyed Frozen more than I though they would.

3. karenssoiree says:

This is really cool! I haven’t seen Frozen but this is such a great activity. My daughter is a little young but I’ll have to save this!

4. This is a cute idea! My girls love Frozen! My youngest would love this!

5. My Frozen obsessed girlies would love this activity!! Thanks for sharing.

6. Super cute idea! We are starting to play memory on the Peter Pan app, but Red is still learning the rules! We know all our letters….

Such a cute activity! I have to try to find books that spark my boys’ interests.

8. Rachael says:

This is a great idea for a reading activity. I’ll keep it in mind for my grandkids.

9. What a cute way to incorporate the movie into teaching literacy! Thanks for the printable.

10. aimee fauci says:

Good job for being so creative. I don’t even know where to start to begin to teach my child how to read. .she will be 3 in May. She is smarter than anything but I just don’t know where to start.

11. brett says:

oh how cute!! perfect timing- all anyone talks about in the kiddo crowd is frozen!

12. I have heard so many good things about the Movie Frozen. I am going to have to watch it!

13. sippycupmom says:

Oh, this is great! My son will love this – we are loving the movie!

14. This is a great activity. It is almost impossible to get my nephew interested in reading, but fun things like this definitely help!

15. Great reading activity. I find inspiration on PINTEREST!!!

16. Fun, fun fun! We’re in love with Frozen right now!

17. Awe, that looks like a fun little activity for kids. I adored the Frozen movie!

18. Jessica says:

Thank you SO much for this! My daughter loves FROZEN and this is a perfect learning activity for her. I am going to get this together for the weekend!

19. Paige says:

This looks like a great activity! I bet kids love it too since it’s characters they recognize

20. Amanda Love says:

This looks like such a fun activity, especially for those into Frozen. My daughter is a little too young for this but my 9 year old can do something a bit more challenging. Thanks for the printable.

21. Beth says:

I am so not creative or crafty so I appreciate when someone else shares something that can help people like me. Thanks!!

Excellent on the activity kit!! And I love that it’s inspired by Frozen. That movie was so huge, and we loved it too. :)

23. It’s so important to make learning fun. This is a great idea, who doesn’t love FROZEN?!

24. kids love learning games. the frozen one looks so great. I would use that with my kids!

25. Toni says:

What a fun way to teach them to read. We Love Frozen here.

26. Jaime says:

This is such a great activity! My 2.5-year-old loves books and has recently started trying to sound words out. Such a fun time!

27. aleshafulltimemama says:

Such a great idea to help make reading more fun! I haven’t seen Frozen yet, but we’re counting down the days until it’s out on video and we can buy it! :)

28. My daughter is just at that age where she’s recognizign words and can sound some out. Thank you for this fun activity!

29. Alissa says:

Love, love, LOVE this idea! My kids are so into Frozen right now and this would be a great learning activity. Thanks for sharing!

30. sgrcom says:

Since we have been watching Frozen almost every day, I really think my kiddo would love an activity like this. I pinned this so I can print it once my new printer is set up tonight!

31. Eliz Frank says:

Your snowflake printable is beautiful… This sounds like a great program and way to teach reading…

32. I think it’s great that you’re using movies that your kids like in order to create learning experiences for them. My sister does similar things with my niece.